MEMORIES of “Tipperary,” that famous marching song of the First World War, are revived by picture of the Grand theatre, late the Hippodrome, at Stalybridge, where it was first sung.
The photograph, on which is seen, old playbills and a gas lamp, was found in grimy condition, by Mr. Rushton, of 3 Cambridge Street, Stalybridge, Who has charge of Brushes White disposing of a consignment of rubbish, Mr. Rushton spotted the picture and rescued it.
Jack Judge, an old trouper, composed “Tipperary” in the Newmarket Inn, Corporation Street, Stalybridge (Which formerly stood near the old theatre), while appearing at the Grand.
Judge described the writing of it as “s sudden inspiration and a jolly good piece of luck.” It was written as the result of a bet that he could not write, produce and perform an original song within 24 hours.
An inebriated Irishman encountered by Jack While returning to his “digs” provided the inspiration.
Judge sang the song the next night with enormous success, and had the audience clamoring for more.
What happened subsequently to “Tipperary” is now a matter of history, the old theatre in which it was first sung closed in 1954 and the demolishers brought its chequered career to an end ten years later.
Article possibly sourced from the Reporter now known as Tameside Reporter July 26th 1968
Article donated by P Taylor
Please note the image is not from 1968 but a picture of the Grand Theatre from Jack Judges time